Thursday, August 30, 2007

P90X Workout Day 3 Shoulders & Arms, Ab Ripper X

This morning it was hard getting out of bed. All of me hurts. Especially those areas that got destroyed by Plyometrics. At this point I'm actually strongly considering the P90X Peak Recovery formula. I want to bounce back quickly and adapt to this ASAP. I've never really seen myself as a supplement guy but, when your body is aching like mine is you may just be reaching for something that will help get you back up to par. The "Shoulders & Arms" workout was actually a relief from the last 2 days of brutality :). A lot of bicep workouts in this one. This is where you really get into the resistance bands if you went that route, otherwise you need dumbbells.




Probably the most difficult routine (I can't remember the name) was the one that has you get a chair and position your self off of the front with your hands gripping the corners. Then you dip down with your legs either bent, or fully extended. That's a tough one, I'll be working my way up on those. The whole point of the P90X workout is to document how many reps you can do now for a given exercise so that you can increase this number as you move through the program. After Shoulders & Arms it goes on to Ab Ripper X. It's an intense ab workout as the name implies. lots of crunches and sit up style routines.

One thing that is great is that Tony Horton shows you how to modified the exercises to make it a little easier when you're just starting out. This is due to the fact that you simply cannot do every extreme technique they hand you right off the bat. You have to work your way up on some. I actually felt energized after this workout as opposed to completely stomped like the last 2 days. The P90X workout does take a real commitment and so far so good.

If you want to learn more about the P90X workout or want to give it a try see the link below:

P90X Home Workout System

3 comments:

Bo said...

Grats on starting P90X! I'm on Day 30, and I've been having alot of fun. It's been awhile since I've worked out for 30 straight days :)

Plyometrics is REALLY tough. I only made it through about 40 mins of it the first time... and I ended up doing CardioX in its place the next time. Tony says that CardioX is a good replacement for people who aren't ready for Plyo yet.

I noticed that you didn't have any pictures posted. At the very least, I suggest you take some pictures (shirt off, in shorts) in all the different positions. Pictures add a layer of accountability to this program, and it's great to view the results. It's really easy to do a program, and "think" that you don't see any results, and quit as a result.

I'm running a blog too at www.lawrenceboland.com

ace said...

Yeah, I'm gonna agree with everyone -- Plyo is a tough workout. Sort of like a body weight leg routine with massive amounts of cardio thrown in for good measure. The only thing worse than plyo that I can think of would be a full tilt hour and a half vinyasa class. Anyway, if your muscles are sore you could also look into a supplement some of my cycling buddies use called l-glutamine. It is good for assisting the body repair muscle tissue. Just add a little to juice.

Joel Varone said...

Thanks for the advice! Yeah I'm sore but feeling better each day I adjust. I'm really thinking about buying the P90X Peak Recovery, in fact I took a look at the nutrition facts and it looks like l-glutamine is in there. Since I haven't gotten into Cardio X yet I didn't realize I could swap it for Plyo. I may just do that...it's brutal